Taiwan uses an electric current of 110 volts at 60 cycles. Many buildings also have 220-volt sockets. Visitors with appliances of different voltages are urged to bring adapters with them.

Getting Around:
Taiwan High speed Railway The THSR goes through 8 main cities along the western part of Taiwan at the moment.


Trains on the round-the-island rail network provide extremely convenient services. Tickets may be purchased three days in advance.


Useful Information


Immigration procedures are smooth and hassle free. Most guards speak some English.


Customs Regulations
Up to US$10,000 in foreign currency (and NT$60,000) may be brought into the country but there is a limit on goods (clothes, furniture, dried goods) brought in from China. Drug trafficking is punishable by death.

Passengers who are 20 years and older can import the following duty free:
200 cigarettes, 25 cigars or 450g of tobacco
one bottle of liquor (up to 1L)
goods valued at up to NT$20,000 (not including personal effects)

There aren't any countries whose stamps in your passport will cause a problem at immigration.

Generally not required for stays of up to 90 days.

More Information
At the time of writing, citizens of many countries could enter Taiwan without a visa. The period granted cannot be extended under any circumstances. All travellers need a passport that is valid for six months and an onward ticket with confirmed seat reservation. Countries permitted 90-day stays are Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the UK and the US.

Thirty-day stays apply to citizens of Australia, Malaysia and Singapore.

Those coming to Taiwan to study, work or visit relatives for an extended period of time should apply at an overseas mission of the ROC for a visitor visa, which is good for 60 to 90 days. Visas can be extended up to six months under certain circumstances on the National Immigration Agency (www.immigration.gov.tv) website. If you're planning to stay longer than six months, the law requires you to have an ARC. See the Bureau of Consular Affairs (www.boca.gov.tw) website for more information.